Cape Cod's coastal environment is a sensitive ecosystem constantly
under strain from visitors and residents alike. Thousands flock
to our beautiful beaches and parks every summer. Think of all those
air conditioners, towels, plastic bottles, paper products and, of
course, cars! The Surfcomber alone, one of the smaller resorts in
the area, produces four dumpsters full of trash a week. That's a
lot of waste.
Here at the Surfcomber we believe everyone needs to take individual
responsibility in order to keep Cape Cod the beautiful place we
love to come back to year after year. Over the past twelve months,
we have made many changes in purchasing and in daily practice in
order to reduce our impact on the eco-system. No matter what we
commit to doing, it is ultimately up to you, our guests, how much
of a difference we can make.
Here is what we have done
Here is how you can help
- Towel Program - Towel on the bar means, "we'll use
it again," towel on the floor "please exchange."
- Recycling bins are now in all guest rooms for glass, plastic,
small metals, newspaper and cardboard.
- Energy efficient water heating system and EPA approved appliances.
- Low-flow water saver toilets.
- Daily beach trash pick-up.
- New florescent energy-saving light bulbs.
- Housekeeping change-over to biodegradable and eco-friendly
- Organic free-trade coffee in our office.
Our pledge for the future
- Make sure all your windows are closed when the air conditioning
- Turn the air conditioning off or on low when you leave your
- Turn off the lights and television when you leave the room
- Use the recycle bins we have provided for newspapers, glass,
plastic, and metal
- Participate in the "Towel Program"- A towel on
the rack means: "I'll use it again." A towel on
the floor means: "Please exchange."
- We do regularly schedule linen changes. Let housekeeping
or the front desk know that you don't need linen changes during
your stay or less often.
- Be aware of your water consumption
- On the beach, be careful not to leave any trash
- When replacing windows and appliances
to use high efficiency energy star qualified models.
- To use organic
yard and flower products whenever possible.
- To continuously educate
ourselves and implement new environmental products and services.
We at the Surfcomber are excited about the new changes we are undertaking
to become more environmentally conscious. It is our goal to continue
to improve our eco-standings. As hard as we try, it is really up
to you, our guests, to reduce our environmental impact.